Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Versailles

So many beautiful things.! Come see ----->>


I asked Chloe what kind of horse she would be if she could be any kind of horse - she very matter-of-factly replied - "A Pegasus Unicorn."
Sundays in Paris. With all the museums and parks, there couldn't be a city with more options for pure leisurely enjoyment. Since autumn is here and the warm days are waning, Chloe and I decided to spend our Sunday afternoon outside enjoying Chateau de Versailles. The first thing we wanted to see was the Estate of Marie Antoinette. Walking by the lush pastures under a leafy canopy of trees was nothing short of delightful. 
I had no idea just how enormous Versailles is - we didn't even have time to see the gardens or Le Chateau or the Grand Trianon! We will have to return but I am already worried about not having a enough time here to do everything I want to do!
The Petit Trianon built for Marie Antoinette was a beautiful little (huge) castle with expansive grounds. While navigating the flowers, willow trees, gazebos and statues through crowds of dawdling tourists, I was having so much fun imagining how peaceful for Marie Antoinette to have it all to herself. I admittedly couldn't stop daydreaming that I was promenading around in one those amazingly intricate 18th century gowns.
The little Hamlet built for Marie Antoinette was so magical! Our guide said "Louis XVI’s wife loved this place where she could return to the pleasures of simple, rural pursuits, away from the pomp of Versailles."
I mean a mini, practically make-believe village populated with nothing but Sleeping Beauty-esque buildings covered with bright flowers..!
Flanked by many small little gardens filled with flowers and cabbages...

Enjoying the flowers so much I was unaware I was intruding of the many bumblebees busying pollinating - almost got stung! 

The hamlet was complete with a small farm filled with cows, goats, hogs and lots of chickens, ducks and geese.
And some very friendly donkeys!
The interior of the Petit Trianon was absolutely beautiful, the combination of white, pink and gilded was so visually pleasing! I would have loved to take more photographs but it was difficult to get a picture amongst the swarming crowds of tourists. That is the one thing I cannot stand about these outings, the crowds of humans everywhere walking around pointlessly! Oh well, I suppose it is because all the attractions are so worth seeing.
I fell in love with the Petit Trianon, which is apparently just a small appetizer to the Grand Trianon, so I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment