Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Le marché à Poitiers

 On Saturday morning, we arose from a very needed nights sleep to go to the market in Poitiers. I was a little unenthusiastic about waking up when I have been so very sleep deprived but once I got there, I couldn't have been happier I decided to get out of bed. The produce was beautiful! Most of you know how excited I get about wonderful produce!
 Tiny brightly colored radishes.
 Deep aubergine artichokes.
The most perfect, absolutely miniature cherry tomatoes. These immediately caught my eye to photograph but I walked away without buying them. After walking around the market a bit more, I regretted missing out on these little gems and went back to get them, but they were gone! The stand had been packed up! A very elderly, hunched over man noticed me standing forlorn in front of the vacant stand and knew just why I had returned. It was his stand and he had seen me take the photo and told me I could still get my tiny tomatoes! He walked me to his car with his slow gait, produced the miniature tomatoes, gave me some free peaches and wished me to have a very good day. People can be so nice sometimes.
 Kindness continued at this organic olive oil stand. After Chloe and I samples the delicious tapenade while discussing the beauty of simple food with the owner, he gave us a jar for free when we bought one!
My Mr. M calls me a berry eater by trade so it is no wonder that I got very excited about these gorgeous, perfect little strawberries. The owners of the stand saw my clear enthusiasm and told me they hoped the strawberries were smiling for me in all my pictures.
And there were beautiful flowers everywhere.

 So I am obviously feeling pretty happy at this point when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a very tiny, CUTE little yorkie! I just had to take a picture.
The owner of the little puppeh was quite flattered by my excitement about her dog and when Chloe explained to her I had a yorkie too, she insisted I take a picture with hers - hehe. Successful morning!
ps - I got wonderful organic chervé from the woman in the background of the photo.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Steph, all these pictures look amazing, who know you were such a good blogger? Also, I am a little surprised to read that you haven't been in any clothes shops yet, but at least you're remembering your shopping rules from back in high school...

    ReplyDelete