Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sundays in Poitiers

On Sunday the Desoutters planned what I thought was going to be a simple picnic at their friend's house on the river. I was not expecting the beautiful Les Cours du Clain.

A perfect tiny pink rose on the archway walking in to the estate.
Lots more wonderful things ---->


It was a a absolutely amazing property! We had a really delicious lunch with fresh vegetables from the garden, wonderful fromage and perfectly cooked tenderloin in the huge old stable that had been renovated into the coolest pool house, (oh yes and there was an awesome pool.)  While we were waiting for all of the food to be ready, we made an incredible discovery - 
Fabienne had all of the original first Marie Claire's in print! Immediately obsessed.! Such a interesting portal into French life right before World War II and the pictures and illustrations were really beautiful. 
Truthfully, we made two incredible discoveries - beside the library of vintage fashion magazines, we found this little lover named Chico, who could not have been a more affectionate little kitten.
Chico + Marie Claire circa 1937 (showing exercises for a svelte figure) = a very content Stephanie


 After satiating our palettes, we followed this luscious pathway down to the river to - 'Do some canoe!' as our french friends kept saying! The river was perfectly clean and smooth and  the reflection of large oak and willow trees lining the the banks was like a mirror image on the water. It felt quite blissful and gave me time to think rivers and roads and where I want to go.
I couldn't put down Chico...
Un poire! There were bountiful fruit trees everywhere. 
 Chlosephine and I in the gardens.
 Definitely not complaining about this. The pool felt so warm after swimming in the river!
 Petite coral bells lined the pool.
 I feel so thankful for all the generous hospitality that has been bestowed upon me so far. So many kind people that have never met me are basically treating me as family - it is really cushioning this big change and transition. I do miss all my loved ones though!

1 comment:

  1. Beeeaaautiful! Your adventure is already so amazing. We miss you too!

    ReplyDelete