Friday, September 16, 2011

Stephie Got a Job!

That sponsors her for a VISA! Woo! At La Petit Academy! Teaching six year old English! Woo! Whew! I was getting so incredibly worried because it really felt impossible. Everyone in France I lamented to about the situation basically told me to give up on the idea of getting a legitimate job and find 'under the table' work. I did not want to do this! This feels like such a answer to prayer, I am so relieved!
Notre Dame outside the apartment we are staying at is a nice way to be greeted by the world everyday.
HOW DID IT HAPPEN? --->


I had my interview at 14:00 where the school is out in Bougival - a suburb of Paris. The only downside of the job is that it takes me about an hour on the metro and then train to get there, so it will be quite a commute to do twice a day. I am not complaining at all however, finding this job and someone to sponsor me has really defied the odds! I left two hours early just to be certain I would be on time and thank goodness I did. I took the metro out to the train station only to find I had forgot my wallet at home. I had to buy a train ticket to get to Bougival and I had no money and no card! I couldn't go back to the apartment to get obtain these essential items because Chloe has the only set of keys and she was at her training on the other side of the city and I had no phone to call her. With no other options, I just kept moving and got on the train- illegally! With no ticket, I was so nervous the entire train ride out to Bougival and also really had no idea how I was going to get back into Paris but just felt so compelled to go this interview, I kept going. After getting off the train, I knew I had a two mile walk to the school but I did not realize it was all on tiny curved roads going completely uphill. I have no idea how I got there and didn't get lost - I felt so guided. Since I had no money, I had been unable to buy anything to eat and was absolutely exhausted when I arrived out of breath at La Petit Academy right before 14:00. But I made it! I immediately felt calmed as I walked up to the school - I was surrounded by big leafy trees and a beautiful garden and could hear the sound of children's laughter. This good omen was indicative of what a nice place La Petit Academy is - all my co-workers are women who love children and it was begun by a very intelligent former lawyer, Tulay, who changed career paths when she started having children. I managed to make a good first impression because when Tulay came outside to meet me when there were already a couple little girls who had wanted to make friend with me and I was helping a little crying three-year-old put on her shoes. She almost immediately started introducing me to the other staff as the new teacher! I had to try to suppress my pure enthusiasm. It seems like truly great place, I will be able to be very creative - and I get to work with my best friend that I have made at my TEFL course Sophie! Very exciting!
After my interview, I felt like a positively floating but somehow made it back into the city and to the last two hours of class. I did not want to gloat but I could not help but smile and nod to Sophie when I walked in the room. Everyone inferred what has just happened and I got a round of very enthusiastic applause, haha! I am the first one aside from Sophie, who has been here since June, to get a job and really surprised everyone, especially my teacher, that I am getting sponsored. Then I could not wait to go home and tell Chloe, who has been so stressed out with me! Standing at the gate when she came home, I just looked at her and nodded and she began exclaiming, 'No, no, no!' and I was like 'Yes, yes, yes!' Naturally we went out to celebrate! We walked to Saint Michel with our friend Aymeric to have dinner. Afterwards, we rented bikes and had the most wonderful bike ride by the Seine. Biking towards Champs Elysees at night felt positively magical - moving effortlessly toward the Eiffel Tower in the midst of lights and beautiful buildings. I felt so very elated by the feeling of life! Silly I know, but still!

1 comment: