Saturday, November 5, 2011

Centre Pompidou

Something very, very exciting is happening - I have a few days off! Ah!
//To meander and explore around Paris!//



Something I have not had the opportunity to do at all since arriving here in August since I began my (unfortunate and useless) TEFL course right away and began work at La Petit Academy immediately after that was finished. It feels glorious to have some free time to myself, absolutely glorious. I love wandering around to and have been dying to do so to all the amazing sights to see in this city. Today was a beautiful, sunshiny day.
Hotel de Ville.
There is nothing more enjoyable for my traveling soul than getting lost in time walking around a museum, so I decided to walk about twenty minutes (seriously, our apartment is so close to everything, it is so convenient and makes going on outings seems so easy) to the Centre Pompidou, a large modern art museum. The controversial building turned the architectural world upside down in the seventies with its exteriorly exposed skeleton of colorful tubing for mechanical systems. 


It is right by the Stravinsky fountain in the Place Stravinsky. 

Modern art is something that I think I am learning to appreciate. While sometimes I look at something and feel totally skeptical of what the artist was trying to convey, others intrigue me. And like all the museums I have been to in Paris, the Pompidou is exceptionally well-curated with such interesting and well placed works that I literally walked around enjoying and pondering for hours upon hours. 
 Andy Warhol's Liz Taylor. 

 Industrial strength sleep. If only that could be packaged.

 Getting my tourist on.

 A enormous and interesting piece that experimented with modeling and filling spaces - made me think of you Mr.M. 
 A model of the awe-inspiring Seed Cathedral made for the Shanghai World Expo in 2010.
 Where in the world where I go?
Ooh, look. Something shiny and gold somehow caught my attention.
 A very, very, very Willy-Wonka-esque mushroom and its yearning admirer.
 Best part of the visit. Yves Klein! Yves Klein and his magnificent blue has had me enamored for years. I had no idea his work would be at the Pompidou, the most exciting surprise all day!


No comments:

Post a Comment