Sunday, May 6, 2012

And We Have a Winner

Francois Hollande leads with 51.9% of votes in runoff with French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
It has been incredibly interesting being in France during the country's presidential elections. I have been naturally curious to discover the allegiances and opinions of French citizens. A
fter discussing Hollande vs. Sarkozy with everyone from my University students and L'anglais pour Elles classes to random encounters around the city, I must say I could not have predicted the outcome of the vote today. While the older adults I spoke with seemed to align themselves with Hollande, many of the young people I spoke with adamantly favored Sarkozy
It was going to be close, that was for sure.
With a final 51.9% for Hollande and a searingly close 48.1% Sarkozy, the country is evidently split.
I inevitably think of the elections taking place this year in the United States. At home. Democrats versus Republicans. The tone of the election race makes me feel dismal even from across the ocean. The negativity, the dishonesty, the focus on trifling social issues instead of grave fiscal problems. In a nation that needs actions, the child-like obstinacy that exists in the two party system seems preposterous. 
{{Nous verrons ce qui se passe en novembre...}}

No comments:

Post a Comment