Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Matisse at the Pompidou

Paires et Series
An absolutely amazing exhibition at the Centre Georges Pompidou. 
Matisse's work is shot through with underlying ideas of duality and repetition - a series of opposition between colour and drawing, sculpture and painting, easel painting and wall painting, reference to and reprises of ancient works, series of studies and of variations and so on. The most singular of these would seem to be the pair - two canvases of the same size, on the same theme, created at the same time. This phenomenon of series and pairs - expressing a fundamental doubt, a reflexiveness regarding methods of painting, and a desire to exhibit the creative process - offers a new insight into Matisse's work and allows it to be understood in the fullest sense.
"La blouse Roumaine," 1939-1940 y "La Blouse Paysanne (La Reve)," 1940 
"Creativity takes courage" - Matisse
{from the exhibit, he photographed his works' evolution to document his artistic process}
In this singular and radical way, the painter allowed people to see the genius of his works, which had usually been kept secret. He showed the complexity of the conception behind the apparent ease that is characteristic of his work.
"Lux, calme et volupte," 1904 y "Le Gouter," 1904
"I found myself or my artistic personality by looking over my earliest works. They rarely deceive. There I found something that was always the same and which at first glance, I thought to be monotonous repetition. It was the mark of my personality that appeared the same no matter what different states of mind I happened to have passed through." - Matisse, 1907
"Le nu II" y "Le nu III"
More profound thoughts ------->

"Nature morte (Espagne)," 1910-1911 y "Nature morte (Seville)" 1910-1911
The reaction of each stage is as important as the subject. For this reaction comes from me and not the subject. It is from the basis of my interpretation that I continually react until my work comes into harmony with me. Like someone writing, a sentence, rewrites it, makes new discoveries... At each stage, I reach a balance, a conclusion. At the next sitting, if I find a weakness in the whole, I find my way back into the picture by the means of the weakness - I re-enter through the breach - and reconceive the whole."
[[I take so much from that quote, his description of his artistic process relates to my view on editing my whole universe.]]
{{Bureau d'Henri Matisse, captured by Helene Adant}}
I am going to really, really miss doing this type of thing on a rainy day.
 \\a rainy place
drops on the tubes of the Pompidou//

No comments:

Post a Comment