Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Vatican Museum

Ornate and religious aren't two things that usually go together for me...


 But at the Vatican museum, gilded ceilings hover over dramatic depictions of Biblical stories and religious life.
Of course that is not all that this huge museum holds. 
It is full of other Italian art and historical artifacts. 
Chloe and I's favorite room was one filled with old maps.
(and the most beautiful ceiling of all)
**can  you imagine what it took to create a map back in 1600s?**
so much walking.
 Got very excited because I didn't know this was there!
Henri Matisse - La Vierge a l'Enfant, 1949
((simple expressive lines always blow me away))
 Cool calendar device with no explanation, curious about the date?
 [and it goes, on and on and on...]

I felt very entranced when I left. 
Previous to this, the Italian aesthetic is one I have never really surrounded myself with - it is very full, and fresco and statuesque. 
((I could have spent a lot more time at the Vatican if I hadn't started thinking about Italian fooood.))

No comments:

Post a Comment