Monday, June 18, 2012

Daniel Buren / Monumenta 2012 / Grand Palais

You can never be bored in Paris.
The days are {too} rapidly disappearing and I am desperate to drink in as much of the city's culture tonic as possible so that I fly back in a complete state of intoxication. 


Every year the Grand Palais invites an artist to create specially to fill the impressively enormous 13,500m² nave of the Grand Palais for Monumenta. 
This year it was Daniel Buren's 
[EXCENTRIQUE(S) TRAVAIL IN SITU]
Incredible really. A big play on color, light and perspective. Under the carpet of colored disks with black and white stalks, one felt like a  small creature within technicolor forest.


In the center was an open clearing of mirrored platforms that interacted magically with the blue glass of dome.
Then stately Titanic-esque stairs (the whole nave has rather a turn of the century industrial revolution aesthetic), brought you to a higher altitude to view the colorful disk forest. 
And you are king of the technicolor forest.
And you feel young and full of flight.
(At least I did)
 Buren undeniabley created an amazing, intoxicating microenviroment for people to lose themselves in for an afternoon. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello again,
    Are you able to trace my footsteps around your diary?
    I have restored to this little piece of the interweb to speak with you. I miss you so very much. I think I am in denial of your absence still a month later. I miss digesting with you. I have created a dark hole in memory of your departing to ease the pain of you being gone. But the truth is that I miss my best friend and I miss our adventures.
    xx

    ReplyDelete