Sunday, December 4, 2011

La Marche de Noel at La Defense

Okay, I have something to admit - I am obsessed with Christmas. 



Absolutely enamored with the whole holiday season - buying presents, beautiful decorations, sparkly lights, over the top amounts of cooking and backing, holiday fetes, I love it all. I am having fun this year because somehow I feel like I am enjoying the holiday season more than I usually get to this early in the season. Perhaps it because I work with kids and plan the program and the schedule myself and just so happened to fill December with paperchains, sugar cookies, jingle bells and Christmas wreaths. Or maybe it is because Paris has exploded with sparkling lights - champagne flutes encasing the trees down Saint Germain, colorful spires encircling the trees down Champs Elysee- and Christmas markets. In my little break during the day on Friday, I went to the La Marche de Noel at La Defense. I had read that it was one of the merriest around... 
((When I walked there were some I-think-nativity-related camels))
that gave me a most pleasant greeting... 
(HEEEEEY - perhaps as large mammals they feel undervalued compared with reindeer during the holiday season, don't worry camel - I think you are very festive)
It was a merry market - tiny little huts in rows and rows, blanketed in white and sparkly lights, all surrounded by the modern glass sky scrapers of La Defense.
I have to say I was almost more enchanted by the atmosphere and the idea than what actually filled the little huts. There are lots of stands with kitchy little things like sweet treat jewelery...
I would not have tried to keep a thirteen year old Stephanie from the cupcake rings..
Lots of stands with strange things you will never need, infomercial-like products, like crazy Spanx or absurd pom pom bouquets- 
There are the stands that are fun to browse, like the leather goods ones or the Russian shoppes
And there are lots of food stands! I found these the most interesting (maybe due to the fact that it was the lunch hour and I was starving) I was quite amused that there was donut stand, nonetheless one that paid homage to Homer Simpson.
Since it was cold and drizzling, I decided to get the absolutely delectable comfort food that is Tarteflette. Potatoes, cheese, creme fraiche and bacon, yum!
Definitely happy about it.
It was the only thing I felt convinced to purchase, no good Christmas presents to be found. Either way, I am so excited that the season is underway and going to the markets is a great way to feel festive.

No comments:

Post a Comment